Accountability Action Plan
March 3rd, 2021
Commitment to Bettering the University of Washington’s Greek Community
University of Washington Panhellenic Association
The University of Washington Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council are collaborating to take accountability for our community’s actions and working to elicit a community-wide culture shift in response to the events on February 13th, 2021. The Panhellenic Association acknowledges our community’s wrongdoings and realizes that this has been an ongoing and systemic issue that is in need of a strong response. This event was not the first of its kind, and there is a major need for a reassessment of the culture of our community. We aim to improve this starting now. Below is an outline of what our communities are doing in response to the poor actions of some of our individual members.
1. We will be hosting COVID-19 and privilege related educational programming for our members to attend. This programming will be mandatory, 80% of each committed chapters’ membership must be in attendance at each educational event. The programming will include conversations about privilege, COVID safety, contact tracing, and vaccine hesitancy, among other things. We are also going to educate our members on how this pandemic disproportionately impacts communities of color.
2. Throughout this quarter, we have been actively working on establishing a long-term partnership with ROOTS Young Adult Shelter to emphasize, align, and engage our members with the core pillars of Service & Philanthropy. Our hope is that this form of programming deeply resonates with our members due to the "hands-on" nature of the volunteer program. This initiative will directly acknowledge our members' unchecked privilege by facilitating the much-needed conversations surrounding these topics. We will be working closely with individuals our age who are currently experiencing homelessness, which the COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated. At the beginning of the Spring Quarter, we will be hosting a donation drive to welcome ROOTS to 19th Ave and launching our new ROOTS volunteer program. In the meantime, while we await their move into the neighborhood, we will also be donating to the Seattle COVID-19 Response Fund.
3. Our membership will work to the best of our ability to cooperate in the University’s ongoing investigations surrounding the events on 2/13.
4. There will be a community forum with the executive members of both councils to make clear the difficulties we’ve been facing, the actions we’ve taken and are currently taking, and our hopes for the future. We’d also like to make more clear how our councils operate including our jurisdiction and options for judiciary procedures. If you have any questions, requests, or ideas for steps that our councils are able to perform, we would love to hear them via this forum. Our hope is to bridge the divide between the Greek Community and the general student body.
5. We will establish a program to re-train our voting delegates and presidents on the procedures of our respective councils and the powers they have as leaders to foster positive change among their members and the surrounding community to hopefully elicit a culture shift.
The Panhellenic Association understands that our actions are inexcusable and unforgivable, and we recognize that this has been a systemic pattern of behavior in the University of Washington’s Greek community. Our councils are doing everything we can to make amends and prevent events like this from occurring again, and we are increasing our efforts to make such processes more transparent to the greater community. We hope to continue to partner with the University of Washington in holding individuals accountable and in making steps toward lasting positive change within the Greek Community.
Action items written in tandem by:
University of Washington Panhellenic Association Executive Board
University of Washington Interfraternity Council Executive Board
Below are the Panhellenic Association chapters that have signed on and committed to all of the five actions stated above:
Alpha Chi Omega Alpha Delta Pi Alpha Epsilon Phi Alpha Gamma Delta Alpha Phi Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega Delta Delta Delta Delta Gamma Delta Zeta Gamma Phi Beta Kappa Alpha Theta Kappa Delta Kappa Kappa Gamma Phi Mu Phi Sigma Rho Pi Beta Phi Sigma Kappa Zeta Tau Alpha